Last modified on 30-Nov-23
From time to time, Soda may encounter runtime issues when it attempts to run a data quality scan on data in your data source. Issues such as unresponsive databases, or incorrectly defined checks may cause delays in the scan process which can result in excessive check execution times, sluggish database responsiveness due to heavy loads, or scheduling conflicts with other processes that cause bottlenecks.
You can view the status of scans that are in progress, queuing, completed, or partially complete with errors in the Scans dashboard in Soda Cloud.
To provide visibility into slow, incomplete, or failed Soda scans, you can set up customized alerts notifications for each Scan Schedule that you created using Soda Cloud.
- Log in to your Soda Cloud account, then navigate to Scans, and access the Agents tab. (You cannot set scan schedule notifications for scans that you run using Soda Library.)
- From the list of scans, select one that uses the Scan Schedule for which you wish to configure alerts.
- On the scan schedule’s page, click the stacked dots at right, then select Edit Schedule.
- Adjust the settings in the Notifications section to customize your scan schedule alerts, then Save. Refer to the table below for guidance.
|Field or checkbox||Guidance|
|Send a notification when a scan fails.||Check this box to instruct Soda to send a notification when a scan fails to complete, or completes with errors.|
|Send a notification when a scan does not occur according to schedule.||Check this box to instruct Soda to send a notification when a scan times out, meaning it does not complete within a specific time frame after the scheduled start time. See: Configure scan timeouts.|
|Notify after||Use the dropdown to select the time delay between when a scheduled scan fails or does not complete within the expected timeframe, and when Soda sends an alert notification. For example, set this to |
|Notify recipients||Use this field to identify to whom Soda sends scan failure or delay alert notifications.|
When you notice or receive a notification about a scan failure or delay, you can access the scan’s logs to investigate what is causing the issue.
- Log in to your Soda Cloud account, then navigate to Scans, and access the Agents tab.
- From the list of scans, select the one that failed or timed out.
- On the scan schedule’s page, in the list of scan results, locate the one that failed or timed out, then click the stacked dots to its right and select Scan Logs.
- Review the scan log, using the filter to show only warning or errors if you wish, or downloading the log file for external analysis.
Use the Scans page to access an overview of the executing and queuing scans in your Soda Cloud account. If you wish, you can cancel and restart a scan to manage the order in the queue.
- On the Scans page, select a scan that is in an
- On the scan schedule’s page, click Cancel Scan.
- When the scan state reads
Canceled, you can click Run Scan from the same page to restart the scan.
To prevent processing bottlenecks, configure a scan timeout on your Soda Agent to ensure that excessively long-running scans stop automatically. If you have configured a delayed completion alert using the procedure above, Soda uses this timeout value to trigger alert notifications.
By default, Soda sets the scan timeout to two hours; follow the steps below to adjust that value.
- Log in to your Soda Cloud account, then navigate to your avatar, Data Sources, and access the Agents tab.
- From the list of Agents, select the one for which you wish to adjust the timeout value.
- On the agent’s page, click the stacked dots at right, then select Edit Agent.
- Use the dropdown to adjust the value of Timeout Scans After, then Save. Soda applies this timeout value to all scheduled scans that use this Soda Agent.
- Best practice dictates that to enhance scan efficiency, you avoid scheduling resource-intensive tasks, such as data profiling, concurrently with checks. This practice minimizes the likelihood of delays caused by resource contention, ensuring smoother execution of scans.
- Do not set all of your scan schedules to run at the same time, particularly if the scans are using the same Soda Agent. Mindfully stagger scheduled scan times to more evenly distribute executions and reduce the risk of bottlenecks, delays, and failed scans.
- As the volume of checks a scan executes organically increases over time, scans may take longer to execute. If your scheduled scans are timing out too frequently, adjust the scan timeout to a higher threshold.
- Need help? Join the Soda community on Slack.
- Set alert notification rules for checks that fail or warn during a Soda scan.
Was this documentation helpful?
What could we do to improve this page?
Documentation always applies to the latest version of Soda products
Last modified on 30-Nov-23