To manage the actions of users that belong to a single organization, Soda Cloud uses roles and access rights. These roles and their associated rights of access enforce limits on the abilities for users to make additions and changes to datasets, and to make changes to the Soda Cloud account and the roles and rights of others.
The roles that define who has access to the organization’s Soda Cloud account are Admin and User. The following table outlines the rights of each role.
|Access the organization’s Soda Cloud account as a member of the team||✓||✓|
|Invite team members to join the organization’s Soda Cloud account||✓||✓|
|View Organization Settings for a Soda Cloud account||✓|
|Change the name of the organization||✓|
|Adjust Soda Cloud Plan to which the organization subscribes||✓|
|Establish integrations, such as with Slack||✓|
|View a list of Users||✓|
|Change the roles of Users, including adding more Admins||✓|
|Reset User passwords or deactivate Users||✓|
The roles that define who can add or make changes to a dataset are Admin, Manager, Editor, and Viewer. The following table outlines the rights of each role associated with individual datasets.
|View Monitor Results of monitors associated with the dataset||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Create monitors associated with the dataset||✓||✓||✓|
|Edit monitors associated with the dataset||✓||✓||✓|
|Edit dataset details such as scan schedule and attributes||✓||✓||✓|
|Edit dataset settings such as enable column metrics or sample data||✓||✓||✓|
|Change the roles of users in an individual dataset||✓||✓|
|Add a dataset||✓|
|Connect to a new data source||✓|
|Make changes to the data source connection||✓|
If you are the first user in your organization to sign up for Soda Cloud, you become the Admin for the account by default.
When a new user accepts an invitation to join an existing organization, Soda Cloud applies the following defaults to the new user:
- the role of User in the organization
- membership in the everyone group
By default, all Admins and Users are included in the group identity called everyone. Admins and Managers can use the everyone group when setting Responsibilities in a dataset. In this early implementation of roles and groups, everyone is the only group that exists in Soda Cloud. It is not possible to add or remove members from the group, or to create new groups, yet.
An Admin is the only role that can make changes to the Organization Settings and to the role assignments in the organization. Note, you can have more than one Admin associated with an organization in Soda Cloud.
- As an Admin user, login to your Soda Cloud account and navigate to your avatar > Organization Settings. Only Admins can view Organization Settings.
- Access the Organization tab to adjust the name of the organization and the type of Soda Cloud plan to which your organization subscribes.
- Access the Members tab to view a list of people who have access to the Organization in Soda Cloud. Use the dropdown next to each name to adjust their role to be either Admin or User.
- Access the Integrations tab to connect Soda Cloud to your organization’s Slack workspace. See how to Integrate with Slack.
By default, when an Admin adds a new dataset, Soda Cloud automatically adds the everyone group to the dataset and assigns the group the role of Editor. Effectively, this means that every user in the organization has the rights of an Editor when making changes to a dataset or adding or editing monitors associated with the dataset. The same default setting applies for any datasets added by a Soda SQL user who has connected their instance of the command-line tool to the Soda Cloud account.
As an Admin or a Manager of a dataset, you can access the Responsibilities tab to make changes to the role assignments in the dataset, including the role of the everyone group. All users, regardless of their role assignment, can view the Responsibilities tab.
- As an Admin, login to your Soda Cloud account and navigate to the Datasets dashboard.
- Click the stacked dots to the right of the dataset in which you wish to adjust the role assignments, then select Edit Dataset.
- In the Responsibilities tab, use the search bar to find specific Users to which you wish to assign a role other than the default, Editor, then use the dropdown next to each name to adjust their role.
Alternatively, search for the group everyone and change the default role of the group from Editor to Manager or Viewer.
There are two ownership roles in Soda Cloud that identify the user that owns a dataset or monitor. By default, the creator of the dataset or monitor becomes the Dataset Owner or Monitor Owner, respectively. These ownership roles do not enforce any rights or permissions on the datasets or monitors, they are simply identifiers.
- If you are the Admin of the organization, or have a Manager or Editor role for the dataset, login to your Soda Cloud account and navigate to the Datasets dashboard.
- Click the stacked dots to the right of the dataset for which you wish to adjust the ownership, then select Edit Dataset.
- In the Attributes tab, use the dropdown to select the name of another user to take ownership of the dataset, then Save.
- If you are the Admin of the organization, or have a Manager or Editor role for the monitor’s dataset, login to your Soda Cloud account and navigate to the Monitors dashboard.
- Click the stacked dots to the right of the monitor for which you wish to adjust the ownership, then select Edit Monitor.
- In the Attributes tab, use the dropdown to select the name of another user to take ownership of the monitor, then Save.
- Need help? Join the Soda community on Slack.
- Invite team members to join your organization’s Soda Cloud account.
- Learn how to add a dataset to your Soda Cloud account.
- Learn how to change the scan schedule for an individual dataset.
- Learn how to edit a data source’s settings.
Last modified on 18-Oct-21